Monday, January 17, 2011

This is fun !

Last night after the message was preached and the adults were going into their prayer groups, I summoned all the children to gather for youth choir practice.  They had already sung in the service and were really a blessing.  It is special to hear young people sing songs for the Lord like, "I Have decided to Follow Jesus" and "Lord Prepare Me To Be a Sanctuary".  One of the young men, Tate Webb, sang a solo which ended with a standing ovation from the congregation.  Again I say, what a blessing it is to hear our youth singing for Jesus Christ.

So with all the parents praying, the youth begin to sing.  We start off with an all-time favorite. An action song called "I'm In-Right-Out-Right Happy all the Time"  There are a lot of motions and fun as we start off slowly and speed up with each round.  From there we do another fun song and then we start learning a song new to the choir.  I'm really impressed with their effort to learn and how fast they catch on.  It's called "Trusty Sword" so I bring in the big sword from my office and we talk about it.  Then I get my Bible out and I explain that the song is really about the Sword of the Lord, God's Word.  When asked which one is more powerful, the kids quickly respond in favor of the Bible.  A few more times through and the choir is really getting the tune down and the words are filling in, as well.

Now it's time to take a break and play Solomon Says.  (This is our version of Simon Says.)  Solomon says, "Raise your right hand." Solomon says, "Raise your left hand."  Put your hands down... uh oh, somebody's out. The competition is tough but Trey comes out a winner.  Now he gets to lead Solomon Says for a round.  Nobody is bored and soon we're ready to sing again.  We go through another favorite and a final couple times through the new song.  We're getting closer to where we want to be on it. 

Then I announce, it's time for our ice cream treat.  We don't want to eat in the choir so I invite all the children to my office.  Ice creams for everyone I say as we are heading down the hall.  It's then that one of the boys looks at me and says:  "This is fun!"  I know that we have won the battle for another week.  If I can get them to like serving Jesus when they are this age I know my chances have greatly improved for the future. 

I'm sitting here thinking about the evening and I realize that it was fun for me too.  I love spending time with the young people of Lighthouse Baptist Church.  I can't wait for next week.

Just Saying

1 comment: