Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Dream Come True

It was about twenty years ago when I took my first trip to Hammond, Indiana and I'll never forget it.  Brother Frank Whitmire and I took off on a Monday in March headed for the First Baptist Church of Hammond to attend Pastor's School and to see the church that Dr. Jack Hyles pastored.  I remember reading in the Sword of the Lord how First Baptist was the largest Sunday School in the world with average attendances of over 22,000 throughout the 1970's.  This was one of the first mega-churches in America and we were going to sit in the pews and soak up every minute of it.  When we got to Hammond I had no idea where the church was so we stopped to ask the man at the service station for directions.  Surely we thought, everybody will know where the largest church in the world is when its in you own town, but not so.  He had never even heard of it or Dr. Jack Hyles.  We were shocked, but not as much as we were when we actually found the church.  It was a warehouse looking structure that took up what looked like a whole city block.  Well, we got there early that night only to find the place packed with people and few seats left, but it was worth the effort.  Words could not describe the thrill we felt just to be a part of this conference of legendary proportions. 

The years have come and gone and Pastors Schools have flown by. I look back at years where the evening programs and great preaching still stick in my mind.  I also remember people we took with us making great decisions to be missionaries, preachers and church planters.  One night I found both my boys in the altar making their own decisions to serve God.  I still get excited recalling the bombastic preaching of Dr. Hyles, the patriotic music of the choir and the life-size King James Bibles parading down the aisles, etc.  And then there was the night when they brought all the bus kids across the platform of the old Gary Civic center.  It took almost two hours as many tears were shed while we fell in love again with the bus ministry and the "Church with a Heart".  I could go on and on with memories of Curtis Hutson in his last days preaching and seeing Carl Hatch, Joe Boyd and Lee Roberson standing in the pews shouting and Pastor Larry Brown standing on Dr.Schaap's brand new pulpit.  Then came the thrill of being in the massive new auditorium and watching Dr. Jack Schaap take First Baptist and Pastor's School to new levels and even greater days.

I remember one time walking onto the platform and imagining how it would feel to preach at Pastor's School.  (I guess every preacher to attend from ten and up has had such thoughts.)  Well two nights ago as I was just getting in from a long day at church I got a call.  I recognized the area code as Indiana since I have several friends from there and many missionaries that call me about meetings.  But this was not a missionary, it was Dr.Bob Marshall the Asst. Pastor to Dr. Schaap and the man in charge of Adult Sunday School at First Baptist.  I have gotten to know Dr. Marshall from his visit to my church and time I have spent with him on my trips to Hammond.  He is a person very easy to talk to and also someone who has a lot of depth and wisdom.  I knew immediately who he was and I was a good bit curious when he said he wanted to ask a favor of me. 

He went on to say that he had enjoyed our conversation about the discipleship program that I had developed at Lighthouse and that he wanted me to share it with the pastors this year.  He asked if I would teach a couple of sessions on the topic.  Of course I agreed and expressed my gratitude for the opportunity.  It is a great honor for me to be able to speak at the First Baptist Church and the 2011 Pastor's School.  This year's theme is "About the Cross" and in spite of the fact that I will have a small part in the program, I highly recommend that every preacher, pastor, missionary, and church worker attend.  By no means will I be a major part of Pastor's School, but for me it is a dream come true.

Just Saying

No comments:

Post a Comment